- One of the better days this month weatherwise searching for ammonites on the foreshore beneath Golden Cap
- Sunshine and showers, some heavy inland exploring the lighthouses and quarries on the Isle of Portland, this picture is of the Old Lower Light
- May is also the month when Rhododendrons come into bloom on much of the heathland, as here near Bere Regis
- One of the wetter days, lending muted tones to the view across Ballard Down and Poole Bay towards Bournemouth
- And a another changeable day, from the start of the month, cloud boiling up over fields in the north-west of the county near Yetminster
The pictures of Dorset in May in this gallery were captured at high resolution.
All photographs copyright © 19982003 John Allen