- Billed as ' ... the best one-day agricultural show in the country', the annual Gillingham and Shaftesbury Show returns in style after a two year break due to restrictions imposed as a result of the foot and mouth epidemic in 2001
- Traditional entertainment the Punch and Judy show a key part in the continuing appeal of summer beach resorts such as Swanage
- One of the few truly bright days during August this year, at the quayside in Wareham
- To cover the running costs of entering the Southern England in Bloom competition, the Wimborne in Bloom team organise a duck race along the River Allen
- Approaching sunset in late August at Arne overlooking the heathland towards Purbeck
The pictures of Dorset in August in this gallery were captured at high resolution.
All photographs copyright © 19982003 John Allen