- During October the hours of daylight shorten noticeably, the last of the twilight at Hardy's Monument
- The Trinity House sea-mark (dating from 1844) at Portland Bill. Around the sun a halo caused by light refracting through ice-crystals in the cirrus clouds often the first indication of deteriorating weather conditions
- Fortuneswell and Chesil Beach beyond, earlier that same day
- The view westwards from atop the Portland cliffs, first clouds of the next anti-cyclone appearing on the horizon
- As the month ends the first of the winter storms reaching violent storm force 11 sweeps inshore, leaving rough seas at Winspit
The pictures of Dorset in October in this gallery were captured at high resolution.
All photographs copyright © 19982003 John Allen