- The month starts with a brief cold and frosty spell, a winter sunrise over Poole and Purbeck seen from Badbury Rings
- The frost lifts the drabness of winter vegetation, early morning along the River Stour between Wimborne and Sturminster Marshall
- After a further spell of rain and flooding, clear cold weather returns once more, late afternoon on Ballard Down
- Towards the end of the month cold rain returns from the north, along one of the drove roads crossing the chalk downs near Badbury Rings
- Enjoying a spell of good weather, fishermen relax in the winter sun after landing their catch at Mudeford
The pictures of Dorset in January in this gallery were captured at high resolution.
All photographs copyright © 19982003 John Allen