- A recently installed fountain in Dorchester, marking the supposed location where a Roman
aqueduct disgorged its contents in the heart of the town
- Jurymen in Poole prepare to be sworn in, before setting off on a landing craft around Poole Bay to enact the centuries old ritual of Beating the Sea Bounds
- Enjoying the September sunshine, looking out northwards across Swanage Bay to Ballard Down
- A Painted Lady (Vanessa cardui) takes advantage of some of the remaining flowers on a Buddleia, overlooking Chesil Beach on the slopes above Fortuneswell
- Caught in the evening sunlight the berries of a Rowan tree (Sorbus aucuparia) contrast vividly against the darkening sky at Arne
The pictures of Dorset in September in this gallery were captured at high resolution.
All photographs copyright © 19982003 John Allen